Be sure and check out the SUPER SALE going on now on my Facebook Page! Fabulous deals on out of season merchandise! Click HERE to check it out!

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Show Us Where You Live - Guest Bedroom Edition

Once again, it's time for Show Us Where You Live Friday over on Kellys Korner blog. This week features guest rooms, and I'm excited to show mine off! Particularly because we just re-decorated this room about a year ago on a budget and I'm very happy with the way it turned out. I really wanted to modernize the room. I love all the contemporary mirrored furniture and accessories that are popular now, but they are usually so expensive! Luckily I was able to DIY alot of things and score some great deals on clearance items!

Soooo....here we go! Here's a look at how the room was decorated before. I do love the brass bed, but it was my grandmother's, and it just wasn't our style anymore:


And here's what the room looks like now:


As you can tell, we switched the furniture arrangement around, painted the walls and woodwork, and got all new linens and accessories.

My dear husband helped me make the gorgeous brown faux suede headboard. He made a frame using 1x2's and we covered it in a layer of foam, batting and fabric. I actually found that a twin-sized egg crate mattress topper worked perfectly and was cheaper than buying a piece of foam at the fabric store. We pulled it all tight and stapled it in the back, I sewed on the buttons, then we attached rings to hang it on the wall like a picture.
This was my vanity from my bedroom when I was a little girl. As I mentioned, I'm going through a mirror/silver phase, so I spray painted it silver to modernize it a bit:


Of course, I had to incorporate a fleur de lis somewhere in the room! I embellished this tin with a fleur de lis and accented it with rhinestones:

I also updated the end table by painting it silver and gluing mirrors to the top and sides. The lamp came from Target and the shade came from Ross.


Here's a fantastic mirror I found at Pier One at a great discount because it has a couple small (barely noticeable) chips.


As for the linens....I picked up the duvet set for $40 on linenandthings.com (before they went bankrupt!) and the curtains at Burlington Coat Factory. The silver square pillows came from JCPenny, the smaller silver one from Burlington, and the patterned one on super-clearance at Target. Most of the other accessories came from places like TJMaxx and Ross, and I got the mirrored oblisque on clearance at Dillard's.

I keep this glavanized bucket in the corner with extra blankets and pillows:

Well, that's it! Are you ready to come visit? I'm accepting reservations through the summer!
Have a great weekend!

20 comments:

  1. I have so been wanting a mirrored table! Great idea! I love your guest room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and I just saw that you are in Shreveport...me too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fabric headboard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great makeover! I love all the details that bring it together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I love what you did with the vanity! I would have NEVER thought about doing something like that!! Great looking room!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love this - you did a great job. LOVE, LOVE the headboard!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my...I would love this as my master bedroom. You have beautiful taste !
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute I love it! Love the Fleur De Lis (I'm a Kappa Girl)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! This is a great room. I love all of the changes you made yourself to the furniture. It gave me some great ideas. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE that headboard!! Beautiful room!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's gorgeous! :)
    Love the padded headboard and the feur-di-lis accent on the mirror.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job on the headboard...I did the same thing for our master. Don't you love eggcrates?? The makers of foam are really proud of their stuff if you know what I mean! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it! It's so warm and put together. I especially love the headboard

    ReplyDelete
  15. so pretty! Love the silver and purple . . . very nice! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the changes you made -silver table is my fav-thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. beautiful transformation! I love it! I really like that a lot of it was DIY-great idea for the headboard! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the silver and can I tell you that I love that you say you are going through a phase....=)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! It looks great! I love the bucket with extra blankets! Good idea. I hate visiting someone and not knowing where extra blankets are if I'm cold!

    ReplyDelete
Related Posts with Thumbnails