Be sure and check out the SUPER SALE going on now on my Facebook Page! Fabulous deals on out of season merchandise! Click HERE to check it out!

Sunday, April 4, 2010

More DIY Textured Art

Last week I shared my tutorials for two different kinds of textured art over at Tatertots and Jello.  I featured one method using joint compound/spackle:

IMG_0552

IMG_0574   

and one method using fabric (burlap):

IMG_0557IMG_0560

I’ve got one more method up my sleeve, this one using sandpaper!  Using the same steps as before, I printed out the image I wanted to use and transferred it to the sandpaper.   I used dollar-store sandpaper for this project, but you could spend a little more money and get a better quality and rougher sandpaper for the most texture.IMG_0492 IMG_0495 Then I cut out the shapes and glued them onto my pre-painted canvas.IMG_0496 IMG_0497

Next, I painted over the sandpaper, not necessarily staying “in the lines”! IMG_0498

An alternative method which I also experimented with is to spray-paint the sandpaper first, then cut out your shape and glue it on.  This way more of the sand texture stays put. IMG_0500IMG_0499

My final step was to cover the canvas with two coats of modge podge in a circular motion to create even more texture.  Gently press down any areas that did not adhere previously.IMG_0516IMG_0518IMG_0538 The finished products:

IMG_0572      IMG_0533 IMG_0537 

I’ve got another idea I’m working on using the spray-paint method and a pug silhouette! 

Sharing this week’s project with the following parties:

  ITS-SO-VERY-CREATIVE-BUTTON  makemonday1 DIY Blog buttonTGC_linkypartyMondayCuterkimbaDIY125 luckystarlane getYourCraftOnResizedj-a-girl.blogspot

 talentedtuesdaytheherberfamily whateverwed  Show and tell poster copy_jpg w

 

 

 

14 comments:

  1. soooo cute! I want to be from NOLA just so I can claim the Fleur De Lis as my own! :)
    Inspiring projects...
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it! Thanks for sharing!
    I have a great interview with a savvy blogger on my blog right now with great tips on how to help your blog grow.
    Come check it out http://bloggerchixdesigns.blogspot.com/2010/04/aprils-featured-interview-april.html
    Also a giveaway for a Trendy Diaper Changing Pad if your interested :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great! I actually just bought some Dollar Store sandpaper for another project and I have some leftover. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how they are in the last picture next to the candle, it's like a castle's decor ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the use of the sandpaper. Great idea.
    Holly
    504 Main

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love your Fleur de Lis! Great techniques too. I must try this!

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute! I love fleur-de-lis :)

    Thanks for linking at Lucky Star Lane!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that!!! Thanks for linking up!! We have featured you so come grab our featured button!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome, I love the fleur de lis!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Saw you on JaG. Love this!
    I'll be back to check out your clever-ness.
    Thanks,
    Laura @ Enjoying the simple things

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh-la-la!! Love it. :)

    Blessings!
    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts with Thumbnails