Be sure and check out the SUPER SALE going on now on my Facebook Page! Fabulous deals on out of season merchandise! Click HERE to check it out!

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Skimstone Concrete Overlay for Countertops: Final Review

We’ve been enjoying our “new” kitchen for a couple of weeks now, so it’s finally time for my review of our remodeling process.  In case you missed it, here are the links for our step by step process of the Skimstone concrete overlay system we used to update our countertops, and the post on our new glass tile backsplash:

STEP ONE

STEP TWO

STEP THREE

BACKSPLASH

I really am thrilled with how everything turned out.  The process was easy and relatively inexpensive.  When I added it all up, we got a brand new kitchen for around $1000.  That includes when I re-stained the cabinets a couple years ago, the Skimstone concrete overlay, the glass tile backsplash, a new granite sink, new paint, and new accessories (switch plate covers, etc.).

So on to the photos….

BEFORE

kitchen_before

AFTER

IMG_1686

BEFOREkitchen_before2

AFTERIMG_1670IMG_1671

BEFORE

IMG_1542

AFTER IMG_1684

Like I said before, the Skimstone process was relatively easy.  There was some guess work involved since we had never done this type of project before, but it all worked out in the end.  Plus, Skimstone provides great support in the form of their Facebook Fan Page, website, and toll free phone number.   IMG_1672IMG_1681

I was also pleased with the prices and quick, free shipping from www.glasstilestore.com, where we bought our backsplash tiles.  The backsplash really ties the countertops, cabinets, and stainless steel appliances/accessories together nicely.  There was some extra work involved in removing the grout from the stone tiles, but this was probably mostly our fault for waiting a bit too long to wipe it off, plus we should have sealed them before grouting.

IMG_1679

Here are a few more after photos: IMG_1673 IMG_1674  IMG_1676 IMG_1682IMG_1683IMG_1677IMG_1687 I have a few spots on the cabinets to touch up where the stain has rubbed off, and I’m working on new window treatments.  I’m leaning towards a bamboo shade look, but I’ve got something interesting up my sleeve, so stay tuned!

Thanks for looking, I’ll be linking up today’s post with the following parties:

Transformation Thursday<b>Join us every Friday...</b>

28 comments:

  1. Gorgeous!! The glass tile blacksplash is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! Your kitchen turned out beautiful. Amazing re-do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely great re-do! Your tile is really awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christy! It looks amazing! A glass tile backsplash is one of the first things we plan on doing in the kitchen of our new house, and you made me feel like I can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Great Work You have Done it.Keep it up. I like first kitchen interior work.

    Thanks,
    Concrete Fencing

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful transformation! I love the rich stain color of the cabinets and your counters really turned out just lovely. TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It really looks absolutely gorgeous! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the glass tile!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks amazing! You all did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! What work you've put into your kitchen...and it shows! I haven't heard of the skim stone. I need to check it out! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that is a completely new kitchen. The dark stain on the cabinets really updated it. The tile and countertops look wonderful. Great job.
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks great! The backsplash is gorgeous:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, what a makeover, it looks great! Looove your backsplash! Thanks for sharing! Debbie @ Cottage Hann~Me~Downs

    ReplyDelete
  13. great make overs for kitchen, kitchens are the most used and workable places in the home and if kitchen is good, then the whole house feels good, great make over i would say

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a great job. I love painted kitchens too, but I'm also so glad to see someone stick with stain. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your before and after, your kitchen looks great. I am curious what steps you took to restain the cabinets? Stripped and sanded the old, or stained over the top of the old finish? Any pointers?
    Thanks!
    Sera

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Sera,
    I couldn't find any other way to contact you, so hopefully you'll read this comment here. In order to restain the cabinets, I sanded them, but not down to the bare wood. Basically just enough to roughen up the surface. Then I applied 2 or 3 coats of a darker stain, letting it sit for a good 30 minutes or so before wiping it off, and drying in between each coat. Then I finished with a couple coats of polyurethane. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely beautiful. I am so excited to have found your website. What a talented, creative, dog-loving person you are. I love the kitchen and if you can give me any pointers staining the cabinets that would be great. Do you remember the exact color and brand of stain used? Did you wipe it off with a wet or dry cloth? Any tips would be welcome. You have a new fan!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Renate,
    Thanks for your comment & kind words, so glad to have you as a new follower! I didn't see any other way to contact you, so hopefully you read this. If you look at the comment above yours, you'll see I said how I stained the cabinets. I used a dry tshirt rag to wipe the stain off between coats. Unfortunately, I don't remember the color of stain that I used, but I remember I got it at Lowe's. When I went back a couple years later to get some more, I know I could not find the same color though. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG girl, I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!! I don't know which part is my favorite - I LIKE IT ALL! :-) Ya'll did a wonderful job!!

    http://hanginloosewiththetuccis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! It turned out really pretty! I love the colors you chose! Great combo. Good taste!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your kitchen turned out beautifully. I am going to stain my golden oak cabinets a darker color and I have white floor tile I am keeping. I've been debating over counter color that will look good with the floor and your photo shows me that a dark counter looks great. What is the counter top material on your island?

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks AMAZING!!! We are in the process of deciding what to do with our cabinets. We originally thought we would paint them white--but seeing your transformation is making me want to stain them!! Do you have a tutorial or a post about re-doing your cabinets? They really turned out amazing!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts with Thumbnails